Bucknell’s residential learning environment is one of its most distinctive features. It is a source of intellectual stimulation, social interaction, friendship and personal support. Bucknell’s commitment to a residential learning environment is evident by requiring and guaranteeing housing for all undergraduate students for all four years. To help you make the most of your Bucknell experience, we attempt to honor your preferences when we assign your room. You can tell us about those preferences, along with your living style and habits, on the Academic Year 2019-2020 application in myHOME. Please understand that many variables affect roommate and room assignments, making us unable to meet every preference.

If you have questions about housing, please call 570.577.1195 or email housing@bucknell.edu.

Floor or Hall Groups

As a first-year student, you will live in one of two types of floor or hall group:

  • Coed by alternating room (men in one room, women in the next, with separate bathrooms), or

  • Single gender hall group (men and women on distinct floors/wings with separate bathroom facilities).

  • If you have concerns being placed in a housing assignment as described above, please contact the Director, Office of LGBTQ Resources, Bill McCoy, at 570.577.1609 or wkm004@bucknell.edu to discuss possible options. In order to be considered for a specific housing assignment, please contact us by June 9.

Residence Hall and Room Assignment

Your room assignment will be posted in mid-July.

Residence hall assignments are made randomly within each class of students, except for those students participating in a special residential program such as a Residential College.

Most rooms are doubles. Others are triples, quads or singles. You will have an opportunity to preference your type of housing assignment, but we cannot always meet everyone's preference.

First-year students from the same high school or home town cannot be roommates because learning to live with new acquaintances is an essential part of the residential learning experience.

You will not receive a room assignment until both your residence hall questionnaire and your course selection are complete.

Housing Accommodation Request

If you have a need for a housing accommodation based on a documented disability, complete the Housing Accommodation Request forms (both student and professional) and return them to the Office of Accessibility Resources (OAR) by June 9. For accommodations questions, contact Heather Fowler, Director, Office of Accessibility Resources, at 570.577.1188, fax: 570.577.1826 or OAR@bucknell.edu.

The University cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet any student's housing request, but such is particularly the case when the request is submitted after this date.